Wednesday, August 4, 2010

A day in the life.......

Starting the day off early and with a smile.....our first stop is to the dry cleaner who's shop is just down the street. I ring the bell, she's not letting me in the gate, what could be wrong?
We get out our dictionary and find out she is on 'holiday' for the month! Good thing all President's shirts weren't at the laundry waiting to be picked up! Since our goods have still not arrived from America, we are both operating on VERY limited wardrobes! That's OK....on to the next errand....
We pull all the way into the car wash...as everyone is looking at us...and sit and wait. Usually they are very helpful and we get right in. After sitting there for awhile, we notice a sign to the right...
Out comes the dictionary again....they are doing maintenance on the car wash and it will be awhile before it is up and running ....(don't let the '5 minute' sign fool you!). We slowly back out and pull away...all the while being stared at......So...to proceed with the day, I head to the grocery store for some 'big shopping'. One can get a headache trying to figure out which container is 'sour cream' and which is an imposter! Heading to the check-out line, I find that I am the only one with a 'full' cart....everyone else has a modest 5-10 items in their cart, and all the cashiers look the other way. I let a few people go ahead of me who only have a few items, then I have to get out of there.....I have things to do! Once home, I get on the phone to the Polish movers and find out that they have no idea where our stuff is, and we still have 'several' documents that we need to turn in before they will turn the goods over to us ... if they show up. I call the President and start to cry....yes, I cracked!...he thinks I have been in an accident. When he finds out what the problem is, Germany gets a call. A few minutes later, I am in touch with a Polish attorney who is helping me with the paperwork....a tender mercy! In the midst of this, our GPS is 'fried' as we are trying to update the maps online.
THAT AFTERNOON....A 'silver lining'! We get our first package from home!   Thank you, Chloe and Riley, for the beautiful pictures... they brightened Grandma's day!
Also...a BIG THANK YOU to Brother Isaac, the Physical Facilities Manager, who was at the Mission Office when President got my phone call. He brought over a beautiful bouquet of flowers. I think I will stay.
LATER THAT SAME NIGHT......this is actually the third group I have fixed dinner for tonight.
You can see that the 'pickings are getting slim'; but how do you beat chunky peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and Cheetos! And how can you say 'no' to great missionaries like these!!!
L to R: Elders Lewis, Thomson, Handley, Torke, & Darowski
THIS IS WHY WE ARE HERE..... WE LOVE THE MISSIONARIES, WE WANT TO BRING THE GOSPEL TO OTHERS AND MOST OF ALL...WE LOVE THE LORD. Thanks for all your prayers...we feel every one of them.


5 comments:

  1. Oh, Judi. I am sorry! I get frustrated running errands here but I can't imagine how hard it must be when you don't speak the language very well yet. Hang in there. Good thing your clothes weren't at the dry cleaners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you had such a frustrating time. I know everyone has days like that, but they are sometimes more severe and more frequent when you're away from "home" and in a new and different place. But what a great silver lining!! Such good timing.

    I wish I could go shopping with you! There are so many things I like better about Polish dairy products, but knowing what everything is can be a pain (at first). Good luck!

    And I'm so happy you're keeping this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No one really knows where your stuff is??? I love the pictures from the girls, I can just imagine how you felt when you opened that, pure joy!! Hang in there, and keep posting, we love your blog (and you guys)!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you found a silver lining in a frustrating day. I admit to chuckling at the car wash incident... don't you hate it when people watch you do something they know won't work and don't bother to stop you? The other day I started walking (waddling, more like it) up to the library and a nice woman yelled at me from the entrance that it was closed early. I was so grateful not to have to haul my huge belly all the way to the door to figure it out. Sometimes it's the little things. :)

    I love reading your blog and hope you get your stuff soon! Lots of love!!!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that your package showed up just in time - makes you know the Lord is watching after you. Love reading your blog

    ReplyDelete

To make a comment you must have a Google account (gmail)